-
September 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Any thoughts on use of bass boost circuits with A7s?
Click on the following url. for an example-
Marshallweb page
-
September 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Depends on your listening levels (and I just know you like it loud). The horn starts unloading around 180Hz, so at 'normal' levels it takes very little boost to reach your excursion and/or power limits.
It's a whole 'nother story with high-excursion drivers in sealed boxes though. For instance, I run +12dB at 20Hz on my Mac ML-1Cs with the matching Mac EQ with no problems (except a little crumbling sheet rock).
-
September 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
#3
Inactive Member
marshall,
Have you given up on the tapped horn?
-
September 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
aw man! i want crumbling sheetrock! atleast the capacity to acheive these goals..reached overexcursion during iron hand by dire straits this last weekend. listen to the song see if you can do it too? anyway effects like the elf-m and the such to reach infra sub frequencies dont appeal to me as much as a good bass horn design. thats not to say my attenuators arent maxed as well in the sub area of my eq
-
September 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Originally posted by valhallax:
aw man! i want crumbling sheetrock!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Careful what you wish for... On one hand it could mean your LF is at Force 5, on the other it might just reveal a roof leak in a ****** old house.
Some may laugh, but you really can destroy an 'average' home with enough LF. You can crack a windshield in a sealed pickup cab too...
-
September 3rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
#6
Inactive Member
valhallax,
what are you running on your low end and how much power?
-
September 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
runnin' kilomax 18's in 28^3 box pushed by a crest 4000 watt amp..thats 2 seperate 28^3ft boxes. gonna try them in a 7ft sealed and stuffed box next..then pawn em off on my buddy
-
September 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
#8
Inactive Member
when you went into over excursion did you bottom the kilo's out? Any damage? I'm running 4 Selenium sws 800's
and a American Audio 2500, 1100 per side @ 4 ohms.
I rent, and when I started the crack in the ceiling was 12". Now it's 48". I won't be happy 'till a chunk falls out of the ceiling.
-
September 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Currently, my A7 project is at the very early build stage. Opinions vary on adequacy of A7/416 bass.
I am looking at options for modest bass extension should I require it. My little timber cottage(and neighbours) wouldn't like 20Hz. 30Hz would be OK. Stadium volume levels are not a consideration.
Short list of options:
1. Add wings to A7s - OK but space hungry.
2. Modest boost/extension EQ.
3. Karlson sub - I have a pair of 421-8Hs that might do the job.
4. Tapped horn - ??????????
Budget is tight.
Re the boost circuit approach. I ran winISD for both sealed and vented enclosures and it looks like an equalzed 6 to 10dB boost @ approx. 35hz might work if the vent is closed off.
Cheers, Marshall.
-
September 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
G'day, bfish,
If you haven't cracked the windshield in that company car, yet, try that Aussie 'The Hoax Is Over' CD.
Marshall
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks